Saturday 13 September 2014

The next winter will come around for sure ... hopefully not too soon

Zur deutschen Version

Due to the cold snap in the middle of August I felt like knitting gloves for winter.

The pattern has been on my Ravelry queue for a long time. One of the reasons I hesitated to start this project was that there has been no gauge and I was afraid that they wouldn't fit. I had to make some adaptions to make them fit. You can find my gauge and the directions for my adaptions below, maybe this helps others who are hesitating for similar reasons.

My gauge for 10 x 10 cm is 14 stitches and 20 rows in stockinette stitch.

I started according to the pattern "Knubbelige Fäustlinge à la Ally McBeal" of Ehefrau. When I reached row 28 (according to the pattern in this row the decrease starts) I noticed that my fingers must be longer than the designers fingers.



That's why I decided to add an additional cable, in detail:

Pass row 28/29 cable (according to pattern)
Row 29 to 35 in pattern (without decrease)
Row 36 decrease (according to pattern row 29)
Row 37 decrease (according to pattern row 31)
Pass row 38/39 cable (and decrease in addition)
Overall I knitted 40 rows, broke yarn, draw through the 9 remaining stitches and pulled tight.

For the thumb I knitted 11 rows and one additional row with decrease according to the pattern.

The outcome is very warm and cuddly and if I weren't hoping for a warm autumn, it would be a shame that this pair of mittens has to wait for it's use for a long time :-)






Fäustlinge à la Ally McBeal
Steinbach Wolle Ornella; color 019
circular needles
Gauge: 10x10 cm = 14 stitches x 20 rows in stockinette stitch

the mittens at ravelry.com

No comments:

Post a Comment