Wednesday 16 November 2011

Let's hit the Christmas market

Zur deutsche Version

My "Commuter Fingerless Mittens" are finished!


As I found the pattern from Stephanie Sun on knitty.com I fell in love and when I got the yarn Lana Grossa Chiara on sale I knew I would make my mittens with this yarn.

What I didn't think about at this point was that this yarn is much thinner than the one recommended in the directions. For a moment I thought about changing to a thicker yarn, but "Chiara" is so soft and cosy (^_^)
After this decision was made I started with the gauge and the calculation (stitches*1,5, rows*1,4).

My first cast on for knitting in rounds since 6 years and I was swearing like hell. I really hate it, there is nothing to work with except 5 needles, which block each other and by the way nothing should twist! As soon as the 2nd row was knitted I was fine again and the fun part started. \(^_^)/

The yarn is quite plain and so in the beginning it was a little bit hard to work with as it kept on slipping through my fingers. Once I wrapped the yarn an additional time around my left forefinger the viscous drag was enough, so that the stitches became not too loose.

My first time...
... knitting thumbs, was not as hard as expected - some things obviously should be done without
thinking too much about it!

... dropping stitches on purpose. Only thinking about dropped stitches makes me sweat (like Zombies (^_~)). That's why I nearly paranoiac keep my stitches together. While working on the mittens I made a mistake with the pattern and found out 3 rows later. Courageous I dropped the stitch above the wrong one and reworked it correctly - and it was no problem at all - another thing to do by the slogan "Just Do It"!

Now that the mittens are finished I find them even more gorgeous than I imagined them. There first trip will be to the Christmas market today - Cheers!







Gauge 4 inches in stockinette = 32 sts x 41 rows


Here you can find the Commuter fingerless mittens on raverly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment