Sunday 8 January 2012

Something cosy for my iPad

Zur deutschen Version

Last year I've really been good! Therefore I treated myself with an iPad 2 for Christmas. When I looked for something nice for the iPad to wear, I didn't find anything stunning so I decided to knit something myself.

During research I found the "iPad cover with magic apple" by Jacquie Howard and was enthused. The only variance I made was because of the gauge. I casted on  35 & 34 stitches instead of 39 & 38 stitches.

This project had some first times for me as well:

1. first time: Knitting circularly on two circular needles
Jacquie linked to a Video by Cat Bordhi in which the technique is really well demonstrated. I like Jacquies variance of the cast on and I think it just looks great.



2. first time: Shadow knitting
As I already mentioned I've been stunned by the pattern and was curious how the apple will appear. Like all kinds of magic it's the same here that once you know the trick it is easy.




3. first time: Crochet Cast On
For the opening on the back Jacquie used a variance of a buttonhole technique she wrote about on one of her previous postings. I haven't casted off like this before but especially the cast on method was new to me. I had a 3,5 mm and a 6 mm crochet hook at hand and decided for the 6 mm hook. The next time I would choose the smaller needle as the top of the opening got too loose.



I doesn't bother me that much, that I would undo the upper part, in this case the idleness wins (^_^;)
... and if I tug it into place it stays closed. Maybe I sew on a button or something similar ...






Gauge: 10 cm = 18 stitches

Here you can find my iPad cover on ravelry.com

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experience with this pattern! I love the colours you have chosen and that you adapted it successfully to fit your gauge and the ipad2. I have been fascinated with the illusion technique ever since I found out about it.

    ReplyDelete